Thursday 15 May 2014

Friday, 19 July 2013

A Bridge and a Tunnel.

 
We took the dog for a walk the other morning before it got to hot. We went along the canal footpath which is handy and has car parking and I came across this bridge at Sellet Hall which I had totally forgotten about ! - it being about 30 odd years since I walked this bit of path.
 
 
Inspired by this we called in at the site of the Hincaster Tunnel were the canal is tunnelled under a hill and the horse had to be walked over the top to the other side . The barge was 'footed' through the tunnel by men lying on their backs and pushing against the sides of the tunnel . Unfortunately the path to the tunnel entrance is heavily overgrown with stinging nettles and seeing I was wearing shorts and sandals this was as close as I could get !.

No comments:

Post a Comment