Thursday 15 May 2014

Thursday, 7 November 2013

A Rather Longer Walk Than Expected.

 
Because my wife was starting work an hour earlier I thought that she should drop me and Charlie off at Scout Scar and that we should walk the full length of the Scar and thence home via Hawes lane . The morning was wet but cleared and so we set off on our trek . The rather cold rain had put the first snow of winter on the Fell tops . Crinkle Crags and Bow Fell with snow on them Pike of Stickle and Harrison Stickle with sunlight on them .
 
 
Looking down from the Scar towards Crook . Here Charlie committed his first misdemeanour of the day , whilst I was taking this photo he spotted a couple about to have their lunch - off he shot ! they had their sandwiches in plastic bags and he knows that plastic bags mean food . Catching him up and securing him whilst apologising profusely I bundled him away - they were not amused - Oh dear !.
 
 
The Kent estuary with Arnside Knott on the skyline. There were heavy showers now and then which discouraged photography.
 
 
Charlie poses for the camera.
 
 
Helsington Church a quaint out of the way place .
 
 
The interior - very beautiful with a muriel on the wall - would have liked too take more photos but had left Charlie outside in the graveyard -
 
 
- where he was committing sacrilege , his second crime of the day ! , he had found one of those remembrance poppy cross off the memorial and started to chew it ! . I retrieved it and replaced it back in its rightful place and scolded him !.
 
 
The grave stone of Joseph Pearson my Great Grt. Grt. Grand Father who was the teacher and parish clerk for thirty odd years in the parish . It's rather overgrown now on my next visit I must try and clean it up .
 
 
The church surrounded by trees . I am told that the bedrock is so near the surface that they have to blast and loosen it to dig graves in the graveyard. At this point I deviated from my original plan and carried on down the lane to Holeslack farm .
 
 
I was going to take some photos of the old farm but my camera battery failed and this is the last I took - of Charlie stealing a piece of plastic to chew.
 
 
Well actually this is the last photo - there is a small hole in the wall with a subterranean chamber - I believe it to be a 'Ice House' where in Victorian times ice was stored - I must return and investigate further - and take better photos .
 
 
Somewhat miffed that I could not take anymore photos I took a detour - the National Trust have signposted their own footpaths in this area - they own the surrounding land - and got a bit lost - so we ended up at Sizergh Castle .
 
 
An imposing structure which you can see across the valley from our house (well if you climbed on the roof you could ) and as is the way of the world I have to my shame never visited !.
 
 
The above photos were taken with my phone camera which I had forgotten about till I arrived at Sizergh . I must make a return visit to the Castle now I have the time . This detour left me and the dog rather further away from home than I had planned and he had not had his dinner and I was due a cup of tea so we were a bit weary when we got home. P.S. my sister has pointed out that the title of my blog has a bicycle on it and there seems to be precious little cycling on the blog - which is true - Hmm think I may have to organise another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment